Back to Homepage
 
           
   






ABOUT FMHS - OUR PRESENT & FUTURE

From the "Masonic Room" in Armenian Street, very close to the present Freemasons' Hall, Lodge Zetland on 9 March 1846 moved after a few months, to "a more commodious house" in High Street.

Then, on 1 October 1853, there was another move to what one account describes as "the Masonic Hall" in North Bridge Road. However, Charles Burton Buckley, in his "Anecdotal History of Singapore" (1902) says that in 1848 Lodge Zetland met in a room in North Bridge Road, on the West side, where Hock Lam Street is now. He adds that there were plans for a Masonic Lodge and library attached to the Assembly Rooms site at the Hill Street-River Valley Roads junction, but that the plans came to nothing.

In 1856, Lodge Zetland moved its meeting place to the Esplanade, to the corner of what is now St Andrew's Road and Coleman Street. Then there stood a house in which Thomas Church, the Resident Councillor, had lived for many years. Today the land is covered by a part of City Hall. In 1871, Lodge Zetland and The Lodge of St George No 1152, consecrated in 1867, moved their meetings from the Esplanade to 15, Beach Road, Kampong Glam. The Hall was consecrated on 10 March 1871.

While building work was conducted over the years, this was never sufficiently comprehensive to effect the required repairs and maintenance work or to add the requisite facilities that should be found in every modern building in Singapore. Further, the annexe is in a state of serious disrepair and needs to be replaced with a larger and more useful structure.

Once the appropriate permission was obtained from the authorities, work on Phase 1 commenced on 18th October 2010 with Phase 2 scheduled to be between 18th December 2011 and 18th April 2012.

Click here to read some of the articles related to FMHS.